About National Hugging Day :-
This day was first celebrated on 21 january,1986 in Clio, Michigan, USA. This day is not a public holiday but many countries celebrate this day.
History behind the celebration of hugging day :-
This day is also known as national hug day or international hug day. It is observed by The United States and The United kingdom. Kevin Zaborney’s friend was the granddaughter of proprietors of Chase’s Calendar of Events.
On that day, 21 January , it was winter holiday season and the first month of New Year, he noticed that people had often felt ashamed to express their views and feelings of affection in public and hoped that national hug day can change the point of view of others.
That is why Kevin Zaborney choosed a day for national hugs on january 21, to open your heart and arms to express the feeling of affection for someone very special like friend,family,lover etc.
Theme of National Hugging Day :-
The word “hug” is similar to the word “hugga” which means “comfort”. The theme of hugging itself is a bit more uncertain. The aim of national hugging day is full acceptance of hugging in public, separating it from other distinguished displays of affection such as kissing.
The main aim for national hugging day is the best way to greet friends, family, relatives, and love one for saying them goodbye, congratulations or express our joy, excitement and sorrow.
All though the basic theme for National or International hugging day to cheer up someone’s confidence or console them for anything happens for unbearable condition.
Importance of National Hugging Day ;-
One of the other hug days is celebrated on 12 february every year as valentine week. It is the 6th day of valentines week. Hugging day is concerned with the emotion to understand the feelings of others.
- It is a simple way to show affection toward your loved one.
- Hugging day aims to encourage people to hug more, whether they know the person or not.
- A warm and comfortable hug is very helpful to forget all your problems in your life.
- Normally, a 30 second tight hug creates a positive attitude and trust towards the person whom you are holding in your arms.
- The warmth of our beloved hugs, around our body makes a sense of safety,protection and sometimes incomparable to anything else.
- Any kind of relation between you and your loved one ie. parents,siblings,friend, relative, or lover.
- The children do not have normal growth due to the absence of skin contact.
- Most of all, it needs a hug for prosperous survival.
Unknown facts related to national hugging day ;-
- Family therapist Virginia satir said that ; we need four(4) hugs in a day for survival.
- We need 8 hugs in a day for maintenance.
- Newly born babies need 12 hugs in a day for growth.
- Science proves that regular hugs with those closest to you, can have especially positive effects on your brain and body.
- Everyone agrees that there’s a need for more love and compassion in the world. Hugging helps to break down both physical and emotional barriers between people, creating a better society in the process.
Advantage of National Hugging Day
There are many benefits of taking a hug. Some of them are following below ;-
- Research proves that hugging is a therapy for relieving stress,improving self-confidence, boosting immunity, reducing depression, and promoting trust.
- Hugs may protect us from illness.
- Hugs may boost your heart health.
- Scientists split a group of about 200 adults into two groups.
- One group had romantic partners hold hands for 10 minutes followed by a 20-second hug with each other.
- The other group had romantic partners who sat in silence for 10 minutes and 20 seconds.
- Hugs can make us happier.
- Hugs help to reduce your fear.
- Hugs may help reduce your pain.
- Hugs help you to communicate with others.
- It helps us to understand someone’s feelings or emotion and is able to make a trust toward them.
- So, if you want to feel better about yourself, reduce your stress, improve communication, and be happier and healthier, it seems that giving and asking for more hugs is a good therapy to start.
Different types of hugs and their meaning ;-
There are various types of hugs and every hug has different meanings with different ways for affection. Some of them are mentioning below ;-
- Bear hug – the bear hug is for those who love each other and completely share with them. It reduces anxiety and relieves you to stress. this type of a hug with someone, means things are pretty serious, and you have deep feelings for them.
- Polite hug – this is the type of hug usually shared with colleagues and familiar. It’s given sideways, with only a partial upper-body contact. This hug means that there is a difference between the relationship.
- One way hug – the person who put you around in your shoulder and not in your arms. It means they are not clearly in a relationship as we would like.
- Intimate hug – A close, full-body embrace, with eye contact–that’s what an Intimate Hug is. The eye contact takes this type of hug to a new level, because it is clearly about more than just physical touch. These types of hugs mean you really have something special going on.
- Buddy hug – this is the sideway hug, with your arms over each other’s shoulder or on the waist. It means that you aren’t just a couple, but also friends. If you generally sit or walk while sharing this type of hug, it means that your relationship is meant to last.
- Back hug – it is another form of intimate hug. It seems to show that a back hug is a sign of both trust and protection. This is the hug usually given by the kid to their parents. If you’re giving it to someone, it means you are willing to protect them from anything.
Hence, we can say that national hugging day is a great day for celebration or showing the love, care and affection for someone special in our life.